History of Bulbarrow Timber

Bulbarrow Timber was formely an RAF station

Signal MastThis RAF station was part of the Southern Gee Chain, in fact the "A" station, the purpose of which was to transmit Radar signals, 24 hours per day, which aircraft used, to navigate by. The "A" station signal was received by two other stations, the "B" and "C" and all three signals received in an aircraft, were used to pin-point the aircraft´s position. A fourth station, "listened-in" to "A, B & C", to check that they were working properly.

Our station was sited on the top of Bulbarrow Hill (the other stations being on hills some miles distant from each other) and we had two Aerial Masts, each with two Transmitters and two Standby Electrical Generators, all this to ensure that we could provide our signal, 24 hours -per-day. (We were officially allowed three minutes to get back on the air, regardless of what caused the breakdown). The station was quite small, both geographically and personnel-wise. There was a technical staff of fifteen men and a further ten men providing all the support services, cooks, transport and administration etc.Signal Mast The station was commanded by one Officer who had a Married Quarters Billet, (the only man so allowed), all other ranks living in Nissan-Hut type dormitories, though each of these had one private room for the most senior man in that hut.

The aerial masts were made of timber, some 250 feet high, with aerials mounted at the top and signal feeder-wires running up the sides. They were quite massive constructions, being perhaps 50 feet square at the base and 10 feet square at the top. Each mast had a series of fixed ladders, from bottom to top, by which means access was obtained. This was necessary, for tending to the aerials, though nothing much happened to them, or more likely to replace bulbs, in the aircraft warning lamps, which were situated right on the top.

the mastThe other staff at the station were a mixed lot but all good types. Every week the transport section had to go to Wareham (some 20 miles away), to collect rations for the site. The transport people also had to collect and deliver men at the nearest rail point, which was at Shillingstone, a village some ten miles away.

The information above is part of a story told by Mr Terry Smith who was stationed at bulbarrow between 1946 - 1949. The Story about Terry Smith the Photos and information was kindly provided by Shaun Churchill. Thank you Shaun from us all at Bulbarrow Timber.


terrys bed   the base   Transmitter   equipment



© Copyright Offline Design 2011
E-mail: Webmaster@offline-design.com